Tubular-handling equipment is a broad term that encompasses a wide range of tools and machinery used to transport, lift, and manipulate tubular goods. Tubular goods are long, hollow cylindrical objects, such as drill pipe, casing, and tubing, that are used in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, construction, and manufacturing.
Tubular-handling equipment is essential for safely and efficiently moving and positioning tubular goods in a variety of environments. For example, on an oil and gas drilling rig, tubular-handling equipment is used to move drill pipe from the pipe rack to the drill floor, to lower and raise the drill string into and out of the wellbore, and to make up and break out drill pipe connections.
There are many different types of tubular-handling equipment available, each designed for a specific purpose. Some common examples include:
- Pipe cranes: Pipe cranes are large cranes that are used to lift and move heavy tubular goods. They are typically used in offshore oil and gas operations, as well as in construction and manufacturing applications.
- Catwalk machines: Catwalk machines are smaller cranes that are used to transport tubular goods on drilling rigs and other oil and gas facilities. They are typically mounted on a catwalk, which allows them to reach over the drill floor and other obstacles.
- Pipe elevators: Pipe elevators are devices that are used to lift and support tubular goods. They are typically used in conjunction with pipe cranes and other lifting equipment.
- Tongs: Tongs are tools that are used to make up and break out threaded connections on tubular goods. They are available in a variety of sizes and configurations to accommodate different types of tubular goods.
- Slip joints: Slip joints are devices that are used to connect and disconnect tubular goods without having to unscrew the threaded connections. They are typically used in high-pressure and high-temperature applications.
In addition to these basic types of tubular-handling equipment, there are also a variety of specialized tools and machinery available for specific applications. For example, there are tools for threading and beveling tubular goods, for inspecting tubular goods for defects, and for repairing damaged tubular goods.
Tubular-handling equipment is an essential part of many different industries, and it plays a vital role in the safe and efficient handling of tubular goods. By choosing the right tubular-handling equipment for the job, businesses can ensure that their tubular goods are handled safely and efficiently, which can help to reduce costs and improve productivity.
Here are some of the benefits of using tubular-handling equipment:
- Improved safety: Tubular-handling equipment helps to reduce the risk of injuries to workers by automating many of the tasks involved in handling tubular goods. This is especially important for heavy tubular goods, which can be difficult and dangerous to handle manually.
- Increased efficiency: Tubular-handling equipment can help to increase the efficiency of tubular-handling operations by automating many of the tasks involved. This can help to reduce the time it takes to move and position tubular goods, which can lead to significant cost savings.
- Reduced damage: Tubular-handling equipment can help to reduce damage to tubular goods by providing a safe and controlled way to move and position them. This can help to extend the lifespan of tubular goods and reduce the need for costly repairs.
Overall, tubular-handling equipment is an essential tool for any business that needs to safely and efficiently move, lift, and manipulate tubular goods.